Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:39:31 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   What computer to buy ?

Well, my home computer is still a P100, and last night the hard drive
died. So it's time to buy new bits.

I thought I'd just get myself a new HD, but now I'm thinking that I should
perhaps get myself an Ultra DMA IDE disc and a for that I'd need a new
motherboard, and while prices are bottomed out for a while a new
processor.

Here's the options :

1) Pentium Pro 166 - no idea what motherboard and hard disc I can get with
these, it'd have to be IDE (cost) and I don't know what the boards
support.

	problem, if I get DIE (oops IDE =)) then I want Ultra DMA (windows
	dual boot) for performance, and I'm not sure of any PPRo boards
	which support UltraDMA IDE, or even support more than 66MHz bus
	speed. etc. etc. i.e. I know nothing about PPro's =)

2) Pentium [MMX or classic pentium) 200 Mhz (or 233 even) on a motherboard
clocked at 75 or 83Mhz bus speed (e.g. FIC PA2007 or ABIT IT5H).

	problem: haven't got the faintest idea which boards are supporting
	83MHz bus speeds properly or which boards support more than 64MB
	cacheable RAM. (I'm not buying RAM for a while, so I've got 32MB
	of EDO to use in the board I buy - unless I get the new ABIT board
	without 72pin FPRAM type slots.)

Well, after all this, I've checked Tom's Hardware guide (which is looking
neglected) and the figures are all windows only, which is something I'm
not going to worry much about as I'm only using windows for wavetable with
my soundcard.

So, I want a fast machine for the following:

quake (I've got an okay video card for now.)
programming (It has to compile fast - mmm big deal)
futureproof (ish) without buying an excessively overpriced Pentium II.

Basically I think Pentium Pro is out, I just can't justify it yet, unless
there are some damn nice PPro motherboards out there that anyone knows
about with UltraDMA support.

So, I think it boils down to which motherboard should I buy. Pentium or
PPro, if anyone has any ideas or good sources of information please let me
know.

Hopefully I can get hold of a processor before Intel take all the
Pentiums out of circulation (here in the uk at least it's heading that
way).

Thanks in advance.

	Steve

P.S. I might not be subscribed to this list, or is hardware just a quiet
list (that'd be odd considering recent developments!).

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342