Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2016 11:19:43 +0100
From:      John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
Subject:   Re: Removing documentation

On 2/8/2016 7:43 AM, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2016-Feb-07 15:28:56 +0100, John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st> wrote:
>> Please do an honest "fly-off" between ports-mgmt/portmaster and
>> ports-mgmt/synth.  I would love to hear what signficant thing portmaster
>> can do that Synth can't.  (honestly)
>
> Off the top of my head: Has no other ports dependencies:
> portmaster - tick
> synth - bzzt fail.
>
> As far as I'm concerned that makes it an immediate non-starter.  I have
> been bitten too many times by portupgrade updating one of its myriad
> dependencies, then exploding and requiring manual repairs.

I probably should have taken a different approach to this observation.
Let me provide a scenario:

You have FreeBSD system that uses Synth, it has 1000 packages, and a
full local repository.  The system works great.

For whatever reason, somebody uninstalls Synth, removes the
/usr/local/etc/synth configuration directory and completely removes the
local repository and every built package.

So what happens to that poor system?

Answer: Nothing

* all installed packages are still installed
* pkg(8) still works
* binary packages can be installed via pkg(8)
* ports can be built from source using the standard ports framework.

The only thing that was lost was one of the two repositories that pkg(8)
queries.

So given the scenario above, how does the fact that Synth has build
dependencies impact anything at all?  How could it leave the user in a
bad state in any scenario?

If you can answer that, I'll concede.

John