Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2004 03:01:59 GMT
From:      Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
To:        "Tim Robbins" <tjr@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADI AD1980 6-channel audio

Tim Robbins wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 03:16:19PM +0000, Mark wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I plan to install FreeBSD 4.9R-p4 on an ASUS K8V Deluxe board. The
>> board has an oboard ADI AD1980 6-channel audio chip. Is that
>> supported? The 4.9R hardware compatibility list does not list a
>> whole lot of devices.
>
> I have this same board. FreeBSD 5.2.1/amd64 supports all of the
> onboard hardware, including sound, network, USB 2.0, VIA ATA/SATA,
> Promise SATA, and FireWire. ACPI support is also fully functional. I
> haven't tried 4.9, but I expect that most are supported; out of
> interest, though, why are you not running an amd64 release?

Because I do not trust 5.x yet. There are way, way too many problems
reported with it, daily, on the freebsd-questions list, for me to touch it
with the proverbial ten-foot pole. :) Now, if a 4.9 release came out for
amd64, that would be a different story, of course. I suspect the 32-bit
kernel will run nicely on the AMD 64 too, though.

I would have loved to have had SATA support for the VIA chipset (not yet in
4.9R). And if 5.x ever becomes stable (as stable as, say, my old 4.7R, which
in several years has never spontaneously reset/hung (!)), I will gladly
upgrade.

But thanks for the encouraging glimps into the future, anyway. :)

- Mark