Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:06:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DP2 root partition size

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Richard Tobin wrote:

> Somewhere there should be a warning that the root partition needs to be
> *much* bigger in 5.0 than in 4.x.  It's gone from 40-something MB to 92
> MB for a default install.  It's really frustrating to install a system
> and find that / is 104% full.

Part of that is that the DP2 install sticks a debug kernel on your disk as
well as the normal kernel.  So the installed size will shrink some.

> It looks as if even with 128 MB you're not going to have enough room to
> install a custom kernel+modules without deleting the generic one.

Yeah, I've had that problem a lot re-using 4.x dev boxes as 5.x dev boxes.
I'm generally installing machines with 128mb or 256mb roots now.  Assuming
that at some point we begin to support dynamically linked binaries in /,
that should help some.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories