Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:55:35 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rc.firewall change comments request

Hi.

I find that using a custom ruleset is a pain in the current rc.firewall
setup.

For example, since alternate setups are sourced using "ipfw" instead of
the shell, you do not have access to valuable variables and
conditionals, being limited to ipfw' syntax.

I use conditionals and variables to make the config file more readable.

I think that having a flat ipfw source file is unpractical and hard to
maintain.

What I suggest is to change the way of sourcing alternate config files.
Instead of doing:

*)
         if [ -r "${firewall_type}" ]; then
                 ${fwcmd} ${firewall_flags} ${firewall_type}

rc.firewall should be doing:

*)
         if [ -r "${firewall_type}" ]; then
                 . ${firewall_type}`

What do you people think about that? Should I submit a pr?

Thanks,

A.
--
Antoine Beaupré