Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 11:42:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
To:        jonz@netrail.net (Jonathan A. Zdziarski)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Radius 970424

According to Jonathan A. Zdziarski:

> I did not, nor do I plan on purchasing the merit server; I'm talking about
> the ascend radius that comes with the freebsd package;  Please stop
> pushing unsolicited email on me.

I think you have mis-understood me.  I am not trying to sell you
anything -- I am trying to help you!  :-)

You asked the list about a problem which was uniquely Merit related
(see below).  I was the logical person to answer the question since
I know a little bit about this stuff...  ;^)

We have always had (for as long as I've been here) a freely available
version of the Merit AAA Server (which I believe is where you started)
and this has been the case for the past four years and it will continue.

Your second problem (seemingly Ascend RADIUS related) was still worth
my answering since you were complaining about the message which stated
something like "radius1.merit.edu not found".  There is only one piece
of code in the entire world with that string built into it and that is
our radpwtst utility.  Not Ascend's, but Merit's.  If you forget to
include the "-s host" option on the radpwtst command, you may end up
with this message, since radpwtst assumes radius1.merit.edu when you
omit the -s option.

I've only been trying to be helpful, and you seem to be asking me to
stop trying to help you.  So, okay, if that's the way you want it, I'm
sorry to have bothered you.

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network, Inc.                Email: web@merit.edu

[ Reuters, London, February 29, 1998: Scientists have announced discovering ]
[ a meteorite which will strike the earth in March, 2028.  Millions of UNIX ]
[ coders expressed relief for being spared the UNIX epoch "crisis" of 2038. ]