Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 22:10:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        asv1@crydee.sai.msu.ru, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFSD limitations?

Doug White wrote,

> > > It can be done.  Try using the '-alldirs' flag first; this will let you
> > > mount /vol1 and any subtree, including /vol1/ftp.
> >
> > No, my point was to limit the export. In other words, I don't want to
> > export entire /var or /vol1, just parts of them (which are not
> > mountpoints).
>
> I think there is a way to do this using overlapping specifications (/usr
> then /usr/local), but I'm not sure.

The 'man exports' page is by no means a model of clarity. But focus
on,

     Each line in the file (other than comment lines that begin with a #)
     specifies the mount point(s) and export flags within one local server
     filesystem for one or more hosts.  A host may be specified only once for
     each local filesystem on the server and there may be only one default en-
     try for each server filesystem that applies to all other hosts.

If you want to export /var/spool, just,

/var/spool  -options  hosts

Nothing complicated there. However, what people have trouble with is
when you have multiple subdirs on one file system you want to export,
but not all. What the above means is that you can say,

/vol1/ftp /vol1/http /vo1/ftp/.1  -options	  hosts

To specify _just_ those dirs. The key is that you cannot specify the
same host for the same filesystem on multiple lines. Multiple
subdirectories on one line is fine. A different set of hosts on
different lines for one filesystem is fine too... at least that's how
it is supposed to work.

Is that what you were asking? Is that what you tried and it did not
work?