Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 13:31:20 -0400
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jm7996@devrycols.edu>
To:        GVB <gvbmail@tns.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We are a growing ISP, need some advice!

At 08:51 AM 5/12/99 -0700, GVB wrote:
>Hi there. I am a systems administrator for a small ISP in San Diego that is
>rapidly growing.  We offer basically all ISP services including dialup,
>domain hosting, dedicated connections, etc.  All of our servers are run off
>of FreeBSD.

That's a good thing.  :)

>Mail server is a PentiumII 233 with 384 megs of RAM running UW SCSI hard
>drives.  It is currently 2.2.8 with sendmail and Qpopper.
>Our web server is a PentiumII 266 with 384 megs of RAM running UW SCSI hard
>drives. It is currently 3.1 running Apache-ssl with Frontpage extensions.

Seems like that could be overkill for a web server, unless you're relying
heavily on server side includes or doing moderate to serious database work.

>We have about 150 virtual domains running on the web server and about 800
>dialin accounts + the mail from all the virtual domains running off of that
>one mail server.  We are starting to see a definite need for a bigger
>server farm.  My question is, what should my growth point be from here, how
>do I scale this thing to accomidate all the users and domains I am hosting,
>because we are noticing the hardware starting to slow, the mail server
>actually hits swap space, even with 384 megs of RAM in it.

Why is this a problem?  It's perfectly normal for FreeBSD to use swap, even
when the machine is under a light load.  I've seen mail servers with a load
average > 10 using more swap than you have RAM and they're just fine.
Remember, it's a only a mail server.  I don't think that speed is something
to be terribly concerned about.

>I have read up on doing round robin DNS with the Web Servers, but never
>really understood how the disks are synched up, does it run on NFS with one
>machine serving the content?
>
>How about scaling the mail servers?  Where can I read up on setting up
>multiple mail/pop3 servers?  What is the best solution to do this.

Why?  Again, your machines are doing just fine.  Save your money for
additional phone lines/bandwidth/advertising/etc...  You really don't need
a HW upgrade at this point.