Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:57:51 -0700
From:      Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
To:        Bastien Semene <bsemene@cyanide-studio.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie RAID 0 question

> Is there a way to add a component to an existing RAID 0 array ?

Probably not. I say "probably" as a personal disclaimer, but I'm
pretty confident the answer is a resounding 'no'.

RAID 0 is a pure striped arrangement with the goal of increasing
throughput at the cost of reliability. If any single disk fails, all
data is gone. The reason for this, is that data is literally 'striped'
across the two, (or more) disks in alternating blocks (or whatever
stripe size you configure). You can't simply append a third disk to
the array and still have alternating blocks between the three disks.
All data would need to be shuffled around to be re-distributed across
all disks in the array. I know of no software which can do this on a
functioning array. (Not saying it's impossible, just saying 'as far as
I know'.) You must dump all data to a backup server, create a new
array, and copy the data back over.

Essentially, you have to reconstruct the array from scratch.
-Modulok-