Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:08:49 +0200
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@ida.interface-business.de>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.2.1 mini-ISO fails to boot on U450

Hiya,

I've got that old U450 system sitting in a corner here.  Well, it's
got only 256 MB of RAM anymore, but with 4 CPUs (296 MHz) and a dozen
disks, I thought it might be an interesting textbox for
FreeBSD/sparc64.

Unfortunately, I cannot get the mini-ISO CD to boot.  In general,
there's only little output at all on the serial console, the most I
could get was:

Fatal SCSI error  at script address 8 Illegal instruction
Drive not ready

When connecting a keyboard and VGA monitor, I see a few more lines
from the loader (why don't I see them on the serial console?), but
then again the same kind of fatal SCSI error.

Is there any chance to avoid that error?  Alternatevily, does someone
have a checklist for a Sun boot/install server?  Last time I tried
creating one on a non-Solaris box, I only vaguely remember there were
a number of things to remember (besides the obvious ones like setting
up RARPD and such).  Is rpc.bootparamd required to netboot a FreeBSD
machine?

--
J"org Wunsch					       Unix support engineer
joerg_wunsch@interface-systems.de        http://www.interface-systems.de/~j/