Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 1996 13:58:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        peter@spinner.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        dg@Root.COM, dfr@render.com, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Scheduling and idle loops.. (Was Re: cvs commit: sys/kern . .

> Oh yes, definately..  It's just a question of how much value to put on the
> cache contents and how much we're prepared to bias things.  Suppose we had
> three runnable processes, it'd be a shame to have two cpu's running them
> in turn and none of them getting back to the same cpu until the other two
> have run on it.

This is a policy decision.  Policy should be controllable by the system
administrator.  The trade between losing cache vs. losing CPU cycles
really depnds on how compute intensive the code which will be running
is going to be.

The best thing that you could do would be to collect meaningful metrics
and implement a very simple policy that reacts to them, leaving a more
complex policy for when an administrator purposes the machine.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.