Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:26:24 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD XFS Port & BSD VFS Rewrite

At 4:19 PM +0000 8/16/99, Terry Lambert wrote:
>Begging your pardon, but:
>

>| --- With the help of Veritas Software Corp., SGI will work to add
>| key features of its Irix operating system to the Linux platform.
>| Currently, Irix runs on the MIPS platform. Once SGI switches
>| entirely to Intel Corp.'s IA/64 platform, that will be the end
>| of Irix.
>|
>| SGI is also forming an alliance with NEC Corp. to increase its
>| market share in Japan.
>
>These paragraphs are contradictory.  It implies an end to MIPS.
>
>Nintendo 64 uses MIPS.

I don't think those paragraphs are all that contradictory.  They
just imply the end of SGI selling MIPS-based workstations running
IRIX.  Nintendo can keep using MIPS, and my guess is that Nintendo
is not running IRIX on their machines.  What is the contradiction?

I'm making the assumption here that Nintendo sells more Nintendo 64
games than SGI sells workstations, and thus SGI dropping MIPS for
workstations does *-NOT-* imply the end of MIPS.  It only implies
the end of IRIX.

In any case, even if it is contradictory in some sense, there is
no question that SGI is *claiming* that they are all buddy-buddy
with linux, and thus they are already comfortable with gnu-licensed
software.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute