Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2013 06:08:28 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org, babt@freebsd.org
Subject:   Part of bsd.port.mk broken with pkgng

Hi,

in bsd.port.mk there is a variable ACTUAL-PACKAGE-DEPENDS. To my
understanding it is broken with pkgng. The target where this is used is
still used if FORCE_PACKAGE is set.

Can someone confirm (I've only read the code)?

Previously this target was used to only record the explicit
dependencies of a port and not all the recursive dependencies. To my
understanding (again, I've only read the code) the
EXPLICIT_PACKAGE_DEPENDS feature is broken now at least on systems
which don't use pkgng (it seems that one of the changes to support pkgng
in bsd.port.mk introduced this regression). I don't know how pkgng
handles this part of the package creation. If it has no internal
knowledge similar to EXPLICIT_PACKAGE_DEPENDS, this feature is broken
with pkgng too.

Can someone confirm?

If my analysis is correct, does someone know if this is on the TODO
list of pkgng? This is specially interesting as the release process of
FreeBSD 10 is starting and it seems that the ld of FreeBSD 10 doesn't
record recursive lib-dependencies anymore and as such it may be
interesting to switch to EXPLICIT_PACKAGE_DEPENDS for 10-onwards.

Bye,
Alexander.