Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:35:00 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Edward Ing <bsdlist@cr343877-a.wlfdle1.on.wave.home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel configuration problem. Don't know what's the matter

Hi Edward,

You didn't tell us what is happening. I noticed that you have
specified an MKE CDROM (matcd0), which was usually connected to a
SoundBlaster sound card.

You have also turned of BPF. I seem to remember from the stable list
that at least 1 is needed at 3.3-RC.

Kent

Edward Ing wrote:

> Hi,
> here is a copy of my kernel configuration. Please analyze.
>
> #
> # GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
> #
> # For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
> # Kernel Configuration Files:
> #
> #    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
> #
> # The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
> # if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
> # FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/) for the
> # latest information.
> #
> # An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
> # device lines is also present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
> # in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
> #
> # $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.143.2.20 1999/09/01 22:27:00 eivind Exp $
>
> machine         "i386"
> cpu             "I586_CPU"
> ident           ERINMILLS
> maxusers        32
>
> options         INET                    #InterNETworking
> options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
> options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
> options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
> options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device, "NFS" req'ed
> options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
> options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem
> options         "CD9660_ROOT"           #CD-ROM usable as root. "CD9660" req'ed
> options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
> options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
> options         SCSI_DELAY=15000        #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
> options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
> options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative
> options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
> options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
> options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) syscall trace support
> options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
> options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
> options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
> options         QUOTA
> options         IPFIREWALL
> options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
> options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=50
> options         IPDIVERT
>
> config          kernel  root on da0
>
> # To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
> #options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
> [...]

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ Home