Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 11:48:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Norbert Meissner <norbert.meissner@daimlerchrysler.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Printing Manpages

On Tuesday,  4 May 1999 at 12:28:41 +0200, Meissner, Norbert wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> the correct solution is (if a2ps is installed)
>>>
>>>   man topic | a2ps -2 -m | lpr -P myprinter
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I've done this many times and it works!
>>
>> You're not listening:

>> If you have some comment on what I said, I'd welcome it.
>
> 	[Meissner, Norbert]
> 	Maybe I'm wrong, but as I understand the question is to print a
> manpage in two columns in landscape orientation.

You don't understand the question.  He wanted to print it with troff,
which uses proportional fonts and generates PostScript output.

> So my solution takes the ascii output of man, converts it to ps in
> two columns and takes advantage of 66 lines per page.

Exactly.  It won't work with PostScript output.

> 	I agree with you that nroff format the pages but what's the
> problem with it.

Some people prefer the typeset output

> Crist does his first attempt with troff (aka groff) but in my
> opinion there's no need for it.

You're welcome to your opinion, but Crist has a different one.

> a2ps does a very good job in "pretty-printing" manpages.

In this, I think I'd be more inclined to agree with Crist.

Greg