Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 02:46:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), marko@FreeBSD.ORG (Mark Ovens), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), will@physics.purdue.edu (Will Andrews), advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stolen script?

> > Anyone who takes the file out of context of the aggregation is
> > required to take the agregation copyright/license with it, if
> > the file has no other lixense permitting its use, otherwise.
>
> I would love to see what weird legal book you're reading out of.
> First you cite the Berne convention as essentially backwards from
> everything I've ever read on it, then you state an implicit copyright
> clause that I'm sure nobody is at all familiar with, much less
> follows.  Can we get back to reality again in this discussion
> or see some URLs which support this line of thinking?  It runs
> counter to everything I've heard to date.

Well, if you want to get serious about it, you should go read the
pertinent legislation itself.  It's not that bad, despite the
many complaints most people have about "legalese".

Here are some general pointers:

	http://www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/copyright.html
	http://www.whatiscopyright.org/
	http://www.bitlaw.com/
	http://www.greyday.org/
	http://www.loc.gov/copyright/

And here is the text of U.S. Title 17:

	http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/

And here is the text of the U.S. legislation implementing the
Berne Convention:

	http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/appendix.pdf

Or for the PDF-challenged:

	http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/92appii.html
	http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/92appvi.html

And here is the text of the Berne Convention itself:

	http://www.wipo.int/eng/iplex/wo_ber0_.htm

(actually, http://www.eblida.org/ is a pretty god resource on
all European Intellectual Property matters).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.