Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 15:28:11 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

"Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:

> If the user
> community insists that we add a warning about the cache being enabled, now,
> after years of silently ignoring the effects of the cache on filesystem
> integrity, so be it.  My opinion is that if this was a problem in practice,
> we'd have heard about it by now from our user community.

	Which user community are you referring to?  Has this write caching
always been present, or was it introduced by CAM? If you're referring to
the community of all freebsd users, I think your statement is
reasonable. If you are referring to the community of CAM users, that is
an extremely small subset of freebsd's installed base, so expecting
serious problems introduced in CAM to have all cropped up now is not
reasonable.

	Please note that nothing in this post should be construed as critical
to the CAM team. It's a huge undertaking and all signs are that it will
be a very beneficial addition to freebsd.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

    Go PADRES!