Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2011 19:35:57 +0100
From:      Alberto Villa <avilla@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, bf1783@gmail.com
Cc:        Grzegorz Blach <magik@roorback.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD needs fresh Blood!

--nextPart5580264.k0xdkD2Kmm

On Sunday 06 March 2011 18:35:10 b. f. wrote:
> It sounds like you are using the wrong tools. Although portsnap (which
> is not best suited for this purpose) has path arguments and an -l flag
> that can be used to add or preserve local changes, and both=20
portmaster
> and portupgrade have options to ignore certain ports or to substitute
> alternative dependencies, you shouldn't have to make use of them.
> Instead, you should probably be using CVS (or another version control
> system that can import CVS), which will make merging and reverting
> changes easier. And naturally you shouldn't run updating tools until
> you've modified your tree.

zfs should be mentioned as well. a tank/ports dataset with snapshots=20
and clones can make switching tree, rolling back and merging test ports=20
quite comfortable
=2D-=20
Alberto Villa, FreeBSD committer <avilla@FreeBSD.org>
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

Nasrudin walked into a teahouse and declaimed, "The moon is more=20
useful
than the sun."
	"Why?", he was asked.
	"Because at night we need the light more."