Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:20:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Michael P. Deslippe" <bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel: Variables

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Michael P. Deslippe wrote:

>  I am assembling my first kernel (and it's running after two false
> starts - yay!).  While selecting my options, I was referring to a book I
> received when I first ordered this as 2.1.5 called "Running and
> Installing FreeBSD"  It was kindly provided with mmy first CD-ROMs from
> Walnut Creek.  I am now running 2.2.2 and there are differences not
> covered in the book.  I did a WEB search on the FreeBSD page, but also
> got nothing useful.

There isn't much printed on 2.2.2 yet.  The handbook covers some of the
pieces, while the rest is probably in the archives of this list.

> The Questions:  What is option "failsafe" (What's it for and how to
> establish it).? How do I select and/or configure options userconfig and
> visual_userconfig?

options FAILSAFE enables some more conservative options.  For most
workstations it should be removed, it will enhance performance.

options USERCONFIG and options VISUAL_USERCONFIG define the boot-time
device editor accessible by typing ``-c'' at the Boot: prompt.  I suggest
leaving USERCONFIG in there at minumum; VISUAL_USERCONFIG is the full
editor and I recommend it.  These are there so you can disable them if
you are crunched for space.

> Next, I just threw a 2.5 Gb Hard Drive in, so when I loaded FreeBSD - I just
> picked ALL and let her rip.  Default partitions, sizes, etc.  Unfortunately,
> I have now run out of room.  Is there a way to enlarge /, /var, /proc,
> shrinking /usr to make up the difference on a live system? or do I have to
> repartition, format and begin again?

SOrry, can't be modified w/o destroying everything.

> p.s. What's the danger of running / at 101% capacity (according to DF)

No one else can write to /, except root. Check for any leftovers in /tmp.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo