Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:59:24 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Subversion? (Re: HEADS UP: Importing csup into base)

On Monday 06 March 2006 02:26 am, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Peter Wemm:
> > Like perforce, it is fully client/server, but it has some
> > considerable advantages over perforce:
> >
> > 1) It has fairly good detached operation modes.  You can do logs,
> > diffs, reverts, etc while detached.  It does this by keeping
> > metadata and a small number of revisions cached locally.
>
> In my opinion, it is not enough.  You can't svn commit on a detached
> mode. You can't work as if you were connected, commit several csets,

Sure, but I was thinking in terms of what we currently use.  With cvs,
you have no remote access.  With cvs+cvsup and a copy of the repo, you
can do diffs, reverts etc.  No commits.  p4 has the same limitation as
regular remote cvs.

The point was that compared to the baseline of cvs+cvsup, there would be
no lost functionality with something like svn in that particular
regard.