Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 23:13:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        Theodore Hope <freebsd@iguana.internexo.co.cr>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 install hangs during probe

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Theodore Hope wrote:

freebsd> > I had this happen to me.  It turned out in my case that my BIOS was using
freebsd> > IRQ12 for the PCI interrupt; I changed it to IRQ11 and it worked fine.
freebsd> > The problem occurred while it was probing a LinkSys Ethernet card; I
freebsd> > figured THAT out 'cause when I removed the card it booted right up.
freebsd>
freebsd> This machine is using irq 12 for the ps/2 mouse (that's what BSDI says
freebsd> when it's booting), and I don't think I can change that in the BIOS.

Yes - that was my problem.  My MB BIOS was using IRQ12 for both the mouse
and the PCI slots.  Once I changed the PCI slots to use IRQ11 it fixed it.
Of course, your situation is probably quite different; I was just relating
my problem...

freebsd> Even if I use the 3com DOS-based utility to set a particular irq & iobase
freebsd> for the card (3c509 Etherlink III), either 0x250/11 which BSDI uses
freebsd> or 0x300/10 which is the default for freebsd, it still freezes up.
freebsd>
freebsd> Any ideas?  Thanks,

You pulled all the cards out 'cept the hard/floppy drive (which could, of
course, be on the MB) right?

You could also try booting in verbose mode (-v I think) to see what's
going on.  That's what gave me my clue...

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |