Date:      Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:52:09 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
Subject:   understanding start-up fsck

I've never used hot-plugged disks before, and was pretty bewildered by
the following:

Config:
   ada0    system disk       sata 2.0
   ada1    user data disk    sata 2.0

brought sys down normally, reconfigured BIOS for hot plugging.
reboot
   ada2    hot plug new disk, sata 3.0
configure new disk using gpart
put file systems on new disk using newfs
add entry to fstab:
   /dev/gpt/fbsd-2TB-bkup  /mnt/backup ufs rw,noauto   0   5
write backup to new disk; leave sys partitions on new disk empty.
sync, then shutdown using "shutdown -p now"
unplug the new disk

install new fan, boot into BIOS
configure fan speeds
turn BIOS up to sata 3.0
reboot

When I rebooted, BIOS tried to boot either the non-existant new disk,
or the data disk.

reconfigure BIOS -- the disk order had changed.
turn BIOS back to sata 2.0

When rebooted, ada0 and ada1 skipped fsck because shut down normally.
But then it complained about the new disk not being shut down properly,
and gave me the shell prompt.

1. Why was it complaining about a disk not being shut down properly,
when it wasn't even plugged in?

2. Why was it complaining about a disk not being shut down properly,
when the system was sync'd (I believe that is not supposed to be
necessary) and then shut down using "shutdown -p now"

3. Should I not have an fstab entry for a hot-plugged disk?

bewildered...

Gary