Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:11:01 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NFS: stuck in an uninterruptible system call

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:49:06AM +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> I'm sure this is all old news to you:
>
> Machine A has mounted a filesystem NFS exported from machine B.
> Machine B reboots.
> Anything on box A that tries to access the now gone fs will hang
> forever.
>
> I've read about deficiencies in NFS many times and places, but it's
> almost impossible to believe that it would be *that* broken. Is it
> really, or can I get rid of this problem by adding a switch somewhere?

man mount_nfs has this:

     -s      A soft mount, which implies that file system calls will fail
             after Retry round trip timeout intervals.

It works for me.  Not sure of the implications with regard to data
integrity, though - I use nfs for fairly trivial purposes, so it doesn't
bother me. YMM, as they say, V.

> If there's no way out inherent to NFS, I'm thinking about scripting
> around it. Before I sit on this task (pretty big imo), maybe someone
> already has a workaround. Care to share?

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \