Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:26:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        sramekr@hotmail.com (Rob Sramek)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some questions

> To whom it may concern.
>
> I wiould be interested in learning more about FreeBSD and if this works on
> windows 98 platform.  If not, how do I use this along with existing OS on my
> computer...

If by Win98 "platform" you mean the hardware, yes it would work fine.
Just, either overwrite the W98 disk or shrink the W98 slice to make
a couple of GBytes or so room and create a new slice in the remaining
space.   The second option would give you a dual boot machine and you
would need to have the install program put in the full boot manager.

If by Win98 "platform" you mean running as an application under Win98,
there are some software packages that claim to make that possible, but
you really don't want to do that.   You really want to run FreeBSD in
its own slice on the disk or on its own disk unless you are in to self
abuse or are trying to prove a point of some kind.

> 200mhz Pentium mmx
> 280mb RAM
> 6.5 gb hdd (partion 2.gb and 4.5gb)

By partition here, I assume you mean MS partition, which would be called
a 'slice' in the FreeBSD world.   In FreeBSD, partitions are [mountable]
divisions within a slice.   Are one of those slices empty and available
for FreeBSD?  If so, just get yourself an install CD or floppy set and
when installing, make sure you choose the option that does not re-slice
your disk (but do install the boot manager).   Do the install on the
available slice (partition that slice appropriately during install)
and it will work.

> I would like to use this as my firewall / ftp / webserver computer
> eventually with my cable modem connection.

No problem, but in that case, I doubt you will want to leave the Win98
on it because as a firewall and webserver you will want it up all the
time and not being rebooted to different OSes.   So, in this case, I
would just blow away the whole disk and make it one FreeBSD slice in
the install and partition it appropriately.

By the way, unless you really are conservative about what you download
or make lots of extra partitions, the default root partition the install
makes is too small.  I just did a 4.7 new install and used up a little
more than 850 MB.  But that was everything including full source and
the ports tree, etc.   You won't need all that for just a firewall and
web server.

Aso, I don't make a separate /usr  or  /var partition  (but do make a
separate /tmp partition).  Instead I finish the install all in / and
then move stuff like /usr/src and /usr/local /usr/ports, /usr/share
and var/spool, /var/mail, /var/log etc in to my big catch-all partition
(I use either /home or make one called /lump) and put in sym links to them.
Then I don't have to know in advance how much room to reserve for those
things.  They can grow and shrink freely.  And, the rest of the stuff
in /usr tends to stay pretty stable in size.

> Is this FREEBSD good for this?

Yup.  one of the best.

////jerry