Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 16:28:41 -0800
From:      sysop@inlandnet.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Diamond MM Fireport 20/40

Hi -

The Diamond MM Fireport 20 does not seem to work with FreeBSD. It is based
on the NCR (SymBIOS) 53C875 chip and seems to have the generic BIOS but does
not appear to be recognized by FreeBSD. With the drivers that come with the
board, it works fine with DOS and Windows 3.1/95/NT. Linux also does not
seem to recognize this board.

When the Fireport did not work, I purchased the DTC PCI SCSI adapter which
is based on the NCR 53C815 (I think) and it works fine. But it does not
support Ultra SCSI which is available with the Fireport. If the Fireport can
be made to work, I would prefer it. Do you have any clues? Diamond MM tech
support is no help. They do say that the Fireport 20 (Ultra) and 40 (Ultra
Wide) function identically.

If the Diamond MM Fireport boards do not work, it may be noteworthy in the
FAQs or compatible hardware list. My purchase of the Fireport 20 was based
on the idea that it was supported because it uses the 53C875 chip. FYI: I
installed from the Walnut Creek CDROM distribution of FreeBSD 2.2.2.

Thanks in advance.
Greg.