Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 08:38:53 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Error: "Timedout SCB handled by another timeout"

Hi

I am still getting the error "Timedout SCB handled by another timeout",
which only happens in SMP mode. I ran for 8 days in UP mode, and the
machine was rock-steady.

There is no other error when this happens, no panic, nothing;
I just get one repetition approx. every 5-10 secs until the machine
locks up solid enough to require a reset.

It usually happens when something involving a big file (like say
"make checksum" in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86) is done on a busy
system ("cvs -q update -PdA" in /usr/src, "make clean" in
/usr/ports and X running). The "big file" seems to be the trigger.

Mark Murray