Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 21:42:13 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hw.ata.wc && hw.ata.tags && softupdates short question

On Saturday, September 22, 2001 18:20:52 -0700, "Chad R. Larson"
<chad@DCFinc.com> wrote:
+-----
| Years ago, there was a main-frame drive manufacturer who used the
| spindle motor as a generator in the case of a power failure.  The
| kinetic energy in the spinning disk pack was converted to electricity,
| so there would be enough energy to flush the cache to disk and then park
| the heads.  I think it was Century.  You know, those drives that looked
| like small washing machines and had removable disk packs?
|
| I wonder if any of the current PC drive manufacturers do (or have
| considered doing) the same thing?
+--->8

I'm thinking that that's dubious because of entropy.  It might have been
possible to pull it off with older drives if the flush could use a
low-power mode, but modern disks are likely to be a lost cause.

--
brandon s. allbery  [os/2][linux][solaris][freebsd]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator   [JAPH][WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu