Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 17:34:42 +0200
From:      Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>
To:        R.Inder@ed.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: Upgraded to oblivion

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 04:02:54PM +0100, R.Inder@ed.ac.uk wrote:

> I have recently upgraded a working i4b installation with the latest
> version, and now it doesn't work at all!
>
> I am running FreeBSD 3.2 on a PC which has an ELSA 1000pro PCI graphics

I assume an ISDN card ;-)

> card.  My phone line has British Telecom's "Home Highway" box.
>
> In the beginning, I configured the kernel and set up the version
> of i4b that came with the OS.  It worked OK: it would dial on demand,
> connect to Freeserve and authenticate all in the twinkling of an eye.
>
> Thanks and contratulations all round.
>
> EXCEPT....
>    a) the machine would not boot if the ISDN line was actually
>       plugged in the wall at boot time.  It would detect the card OK,
>       but then hang, apparently indefinitely, at the point where it
>       attempts to attach things to the ISDN devices.  If the line
>       is not plugged in, it would boot OK.

This is a problem, that has been fixed in i4b-0.83.

>    b) it wouldn't hang up!
>
> I'm confident the hangup problem related to my configuration file.
> But I decided not to worry about that until I had tried the latest
> version of i4b to see whether it would fix the boot problem.
>
> So I
>    - fetched i4b-00.83.00-beta-300799.tar.gz and unpacked it
>    - looked at the FreeBSD INSTALLATION file
>    - ran "sh overinstall.sh"
>
>    - built a new kernel, installed it and re-booted.
>      I did not change the kernel configuration file, since it was
>      all working happily, right?
>
>      Something complained about a mismatch between the kernel and the
>      daemon.  Checking dates showed me that "overinstall.sh" hadn't
>      actually installed anything at all.

To check it, just look if e.g. /usr/src/sys/net/if_sppp.h is a symbloc link
into your i4b directory, e.g. /usr/local/src/i4b/FreeBSD/../sppp/if_sppp.h

>      So I went to the directory where I had unpacked the tar file, and
>      ran
>          make depend
> 	 make
> 	 make install
>      Everything went through smoothly: no errors or complaints, and a shiny
>      new /sbin/isdnd.

Also, you can use the old kernel-config-file, but do

	# config -r <YOUR-CONFIG>

before doing

        # cd /sys/compile/YOUR-CONFIG; make depend; make; make install

> Then, I re-booted the machine.  Oh dear....
>
> With the new configuration, /var/log/messages gets filled up with messages
> (a batch of half a dozen or so added every second) from /kernel trying to
> start up a link, and then reporting that it is closing down.
>
> ifconfig reports the link being "up" and "running", but it doesn't connect
> effectively --- I'm not sure whether it tries to phone up at all, or is
> trying once per second.  ((To guard against the possiblity that it is
> succeeding once per second, I unplugged the line: no change....))
>
> Trying to track down the problem, I stepped through the script I used
> in setting up the original version --- essentially, the one in section
> 9.2 of "care and feeding...".  The ifconfig down was fine, but
>
>     spppcontrol isp0 myauthproto=pap
>
> failed with an error message about a bad parameter: something like
> SIOCGIFGENERIC(SPPPIOGDEFS).
>
> If the details of any particular error message would help, I could get
> them.
>
> But I'm mostly baffled that starting from a bog standard FreeBSD
> installation with a 95% working system, running the recommended isntall
> script and performing the various "makes" without problem has left me with
> a system that is completely broken.

Maybe i4b is broken, but nor the complete system, right?

> Assuming that i4b-00.83.00-beta-300799.tar.gz works at all, what could
> have gone wrong?  What do I do next?

See above.

i4b-00.83 and 3.2-R works with your card (I tested it ;-)

> Robert.

Regards

  Udo

Udo Schweigert              || Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
Siemens AG, Siemens CERT    || Fax        : +49 89 636 41166
ZT IK 3                     || email      : Udo.Schweigert@mchp.siemens.de
D-81730 Muenchen / Germany  ||            : ust@cert.siemens.de
PGP fingerprint             || 2A 53 F6 A6 30 59 64 02  6B C4 E0 73 B2 C9 6C E7