Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:57:26 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   getting wi running as a bridge

I have both a wireless NIC (wi0) and an ethernet card (ed1) for my
laptop.  Both are up and running (the laptop via DHCP, FWIW).

My wireless network consists of two wireless cards running in ad-hoc
mode (one is an Orinoco gold in a workstation, the other a silver in
the laptop).  On the workstation, I'm trying what man wi says about
bridges in order to get "approximately the same functionality as an
access point".  Namely this:

# ifconfig wi0 inet up ssid my_ap mediaopt hostap
# sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1
# sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="wi0 rl0"
# sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

I get stuck at the first step:

# ifconfig wi0 inet up ssid my_ap mediaopt hostap
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured

What's up?

--
Dan Langille
I'm looking for a computer job: