Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 21:08:04 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Ghulam Dastgir <banta@ghulam.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: Printers

Ghulam Dastgir wrote:

> Hi Kent,
> thanks for replying. Just to fill you in the main reason that I need a
> postscript supported inkjet is to allow for the printing of postscript files
> which are only viewable from Ghostview(right??). This is the only reason I
> require a postscript printer.
> The impression I get is that these postscript inkjets can be significantly
> more expensive than normal inkjets.

That is true. I was wrong on my HP-1600c because the SIMM with
Poscript built into it has gone up to $699.

> Stupid question: is there any way around printing postscript files from
> Ghostview without resorting to one of these supposedly expensive
> postscript/injet printers (like those from Lexmark that you suggested?).

With a Postscript printer, you don't need Ghostscript. Ghostscript
converts the Postscript into something an ordinary printer's
understand. If you have one of the new printer's, there can be some
flaws in the conveter. For example, we were trying to use Ghostscript
to print a Postscript file an HP890. The file was a drawing of a
vessel and the material that went into the vessel. Fill was used by
the program to indicate material. The highest resolution converter for
an HP inkjet was a color deskjet, which topped out at 300x300. The
image wasn't bad but there was a flaw in the fill algorithim and there
were a couple of white lines through the fill. If you dropped to
150x150, the lines were gone but the crisp structure was now replaced
by the jaggies. With a postscript printer, we would have been able to
tell the program to create a Postscript file at 600x600 and
16.7Million colors. The resulting impage could have been really high
quality. They started out with a screen print and the move to 150x150
represented a tremendous step up but was still not something you would
include in a letter to your project sponsor.

You can find the source for each printer and fix it; however, we
weren't hired to fix a printer driver.

Kent