Date:      Sun, 3 May 2020 19:27:26 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Brandon helsley <brandon.helsley@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Xorg recurring background

> On 3. May 2020, at 19:12, Brandon helsley <brandon.helsley@hotmail.com> wr=
ote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Ok I did, "feh --bg-center Downloads/wallpaper1.jpg" in .xinitrc=20
> What does PATH and $HOME mean?=20
>=20

PATH is the environment variable where your shell finds programs (e.g. feh i=
s in /usr/local/bin). You can show your environment by calling =E2=80=9Cenv=E2=
=80=9D.

$HOME is a variable containing your user=E2=80=99s home directory. So in you=
r example I would suggest to put:

/usr/local/bin/feh --bg-center $HOME/Downloads/wallpaper1.jpg

in there.

> I copied my .xinitrc to .xsession. Can you tell me why I'm supposed to do t=
his?=20

You would do this if you use a graphical login session manager like xdm or g=
dm. If you start X using =E2=80=9Cstartx=E2=80=9D, ~/.xinitrc is enough (~ i=
s an alias for your home directory)

If this doesn=E2=80=99t work, please share some details of your setup, espec=
ially:
- how do you start X
- which window manager are you using
- content of your ~/.xinitrc (and or ~/.xsession) file

>=20
> Sent from Outlook Mobile

You probably can disable that somewhere in that app ;)

>=20
rom within those files (X is already started when they=E2=80=98re executed).=
 You have to make sure that the programs you call are found in PATH (and spe=
cify the correct path to any files you pass as parameters, like images - you=
 can use $HOME in ~/.xinitrc)
>=20
>>> On 3. May 2020, at 18:50, Brandon helsley <brandon.helsley@hotmail.com> w=
rote:
>>>=20
>> =EF=BB=BF
>> So would " feh --bg-center " in .xinitrc or .xsession work?
>>=20
>> Sent from Outlook Mobile
>>=20
y. I'm using feh, but it doesn't give option for permanent set. The wallpape=
r has to be set everytime the machine is turned off and on.
ehalf of Brandon helsley <brandon.helsley@hotmail.com>