Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 1995 13:09:43 +0100
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
Cc:        Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HotJava

> You need OS support to turn a data page into an executable
> page (usually an executable page is read only & shared).
> mprotect() should do the trick though.

Data pages are executable anyway in FreeBSD.  Numerous program already
load in compiled code without needing to call mprotect().  But in
general, yes, some OSes have this feature.

>  Also, AFAIK, not
> every processor allows you flush cache via user mode
> instructions so you may need OS help there.

True, but so far we only have x86 to worry about :-( and it doesn't
have separate I/D cache.

> Scheme would be ideal if it had a
> decent interface to arbitrary C functions + an on-the-fly
> code generator.

Hmm, I wonder if the Java bytecode language is adequate to support
Scheme (it has multi-threading, so even call/cc might be possible).
Since it's the bytecodes that are downloaded, you would be able
to write Scheme programs for HotJava.  I'll ask on the Java mailing
list.

-- Richard