Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 14:59:02 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, brian@Awfulhak.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Number of TUN devices

[.....]
> >  Why are you thinking of using user PPP for this?  As you say, at the
> >  data rates you're thinking of, it's not an optimal solution.
>
> no, only the LCP, NCP, authenication, dignostic messages for debugging
> is done in user space. this is small traffic to setup/maintain/tear down
> the connections, especially when you consider we are talking "PVC" in most
> cases. the network traffic will be either directly forwarded to the
> appropriate network stack, quietly discarded, or sent back to the originator
> depending on the state of the link/network protocol.
>
> again, I am dealing with a situation where the packets do not have to
> be processed, unlike the serial PPPs. and on the downside, I lose the
> alias feature found in user PPP (which hopefully natd could fill in).

Ppp now supports a udp transport in synchronous mode.  The overheads
are less and throughput is increased by a factor of about 3.  It's
only available in -current (and from my web site).

It sounds like you want ppp in sync mode - maybe with additional
device support (see tty.c udp.c tcp.c & exec.c in the current ppp
sources).

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>