Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:23:34 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'The Varney's' <KingKong@madbbs.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: H.S. Networking

Ok I think FreeBSD would work good for what you need and would be much more
cost effective.  Here is the basic idea of what I think would work best for
you and is based upon what I am implementing on my humbly-small network...

	<snip>

> What we are looking for is:
> Putting in Novell or similar to handle both Mac and IBM compat PC's
	This looks like you need a file server, because Mac and PC's can't
use the "SAME" software.  FreeBSD would handle this very will.  You could
either spend $$$ to get NFS client software on the PC & Mac sides, or you
could use SAMBA on the FreeBSD side to provide file and printer sharing to
windows machines.  SAMBA can now even act as a windows logon server if
you're interested in such things.  Take a look at http://www.samba.org/ for
more information.

> Lotus for inter room messaging
	For Win95/98 there is a program that comes with it called WinPopup,
there is also an equivalent in NT with the "net send" command.  Also, if
you're using "interoffice" messaging, you would probably be looking into
inter-office email then.  Use the default sendmail/pop/imap internet style
mail internally and use one of the freely available e-mail programs on each
client machine (Netscape/outlook/pc-pine/eudora/etc...)

> An antivirus program
	That is specific to the client machine, that server would have
nothing to do with this.  You would need some windows/mac based antivirus
installed on each pc.

	Technically I believe there is a package for FreeBSD machines that
will scan Windows files for viruses, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

> And a program for security
	What does this mean?  What level of security?  Where is this
security?

> The ability to use both Mac and PC programs on the same system
	That's not really possible, unless you were to run a Windows
emulator on the MAC or a mac emulator on the PC (if such a beast exists).
Again this has nothing to do with the server.

> The ability to access the internet from all pc's
	FreeBSD excels at this.  Also it can act as a firewall to protect
the internal network from the outside and can also act to protect the
outside network from the inside.  You can set it up to block certain
connections, maybe you don't want students looking at certain web sites,
etc... This can all be setup on FreeBSD and will run well on a fraction of
the hardware that other systems such as Novell or NT require.

> Share printers
	See what I said about File sharing.

> We (technology committee) are looking into different OS systems and are
> interested in FreeBSD, but are not quite sure how this system will work
> for
> us.  I have had several people from FreeBSD (supporters?) e-mail me,quite
> promptly, with lots of information.   Though all the e-mail has been
> informative, I'm still not sure how we can intagrate FreeBSD into our
> system.        Thanks.........Kurt         Clymer, NY  (near lake Erie)

	As a server on the network, I believe that FreeBSD is the best
solution, but you may need to re-think your approach, I believe you are
trying to do too much with the server.

	-Chris