Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 13:14:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tony Alexander Frank <s9507886@cse.rmit.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SC200 (53c810) probe fails to see attached HD

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Tony Alexander Frank wrote:

> Hopefully someone can help me out here...
>
> I have a SC200 53c810 PCI SCSI card, to which is attached a 2gig IBM SCSI HDD.

okay.

> My motherboard is a fairly old 486 based board, a Hippo 15 from Octek, with
> UMC chips...  It contains Award BIOS v4,50G and supports the NCR bios, and the
> processor is a Cyrix 5x86-100.
>
> Extract from bios boot messages:
>
> NCR SDMS (TM) V3.0 PCI SCSI BIOS, PCI Rev. 2.0
> Copyright 1993 NCR Corporation.
> NCRPCI-3.06.00
> ID 02   IBM     0664N1H

okay.

> CACHE TEST FAILED: reg dstat-sstat2 readback ffffffff.
> CACHE INCORRECTLY CONFIGURED.

The note in /sys/pci/ncr.c points this towards a PCI bus problem.  The
first line comes from a caching test that verifies that the NCR's regisers
are not being cached by writing 0xffffffff to a read-only register.  If it
reads back 0xffffffff then your PCI chipset is caching the result and not
actually writing it to the chip.

Check your BIOS settings and see if you can disable PCI write caching.