Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:04:25 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        "Fedor G. Pikus" <pikus@pikus.net>
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange log messages from AHA2940UW

> I tried out your sugestion, the results are ... interesting.
> First of all, if I have a CD in the CD drive, and a DVD-RAM in the
> DVD-RAM, I don't get the SDTR message. How does the CD enter the
> picture I have no idea, it's an ATAPI CD on ide-scsi.

I hadn't noticed that your CDROM is not on an aic7xxx controller.
It shouldn't matter as far as the SDTR messages go.

> Now, the bad news: with no SDTR messages copying 2G of data from
> hard drive to DVD-RAM still drives the load up to 5 and even more,
> X freezes every few seconds, while top and xosview show no CPU activity,
> and no processes consume any significant resources.

That's just the nature of the iorequest lock in Linux.  It will lock
down all kinds of things while you are doing I/O.  My understanding
is that 2.5.X is better, but I haven't tested it yet.

--
Justin