Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 19:20:02 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NOCRYPT / NOSECURE

Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
> I would therefore like to remove NOSECURE, preferably before 5.1.

I will applaud this!

> NO_OPENSSL is also a subset of NOCRYPT.  There is so little that
> builds with NO_OPENSSL but not with NOCRYPT that I think it might be
> worthwhile to deprecate NO_OPENSSL and change the description of
> NOCRYPT from "will prevent building of crypt versions" to "do not
> build crypto-related software"

I like this too.

> We also have something called libcipher which is only used by bdes(1);
> the OpenSSL distribution contains a similar and AFAIK compatible
> utility (src/crypto/openssl/crypto/des/des.c) which we don't currently
> build.  We should probably ditch both libcipher and bdes(1), and
> perhaps add OpenSSL's des(1) to the build if our users really want it,
> though 'ln -s /usr/bin/openssl /usr/bin/des' goes a long way.

If openssl's des(1) is the same as our bdes(1) (ie, gives the same results)
then I'm in support of this. I'd also approve of a wrapper script that
calls openssl(1) or des(1) and make a compatible bdes(1). Similar scripts
may be a good idea for md5(1) and sha1(1).

If folks don't shoot the idea down, I'm happy to help out.

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH