Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:10:39 +0100
From:      Olivier Smedts <olivier@gid0.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable on large disk number machines

Le lundi 23 janvier 2012, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
a =E9crit :
> On 23/01/2012 19:29, Steven Hartland wrote:
>> Initially the zpool was just the first raidz2. Only after install
>> was the second raidz2 added to increase capacity.
>>
>> So what I believe has happened is the new kernel when installed
>> happens to have data be located on the second raidz2 which
>> consists of disks not available to the BIOS and hence results in
>> "all block copies unavailable" from the boot code.
>
> Exactly what happened to me.  You can run into this in a nasty way --
> insert the drives, and expand the zpool on-line, and everything will
> carry on quite happily.  Until you next reboot, when it just won't come
> back.  And you can't undo the expansion of the pool: due to the
> copy-on-write behaviour of ZFS even overwriting a file in-place stands a
> 50% chance of being written to the new vdev.
>
> In my case, I fixed it by having a separate /boot on some USB sticks --
> this was only ever accessed to read the kernel, kernel modules and
> bootloader at boot time, so no worries over performance.

Have you tried using a separate /boot on a zfs with copies=3D2 (or the numb=
er
of vdevs composing the pool) ?

>        Cheers,
>
>        Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
>                                                  Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
> JID: matthew@infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW

--=20
Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
e-mail: olivier@gid0.org        - against HTML email & vCards  X
www: http://www.gid0.org    - against proprietary attachments / \

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."