Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:05:10 -0500
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Jason Hellenthal <jhell@dataix.net>
Cc:        Maninya M <maninya@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OS support for fault tolerance

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Jason Hellenthal <jhell@dataix.net> wrote:
> How about core redundancy ? effectively this would reduce the amount of
> available cores in half in you spread a process to run on two cores at
> the same time but with an option to adjust this per process etc... I
> don't see it as unfeasable.

There are a number of papers discussing core redundancy.  They pretty
much all work the same way: process the work on two different cores
(or verify some subset of the work on the second core), and wait for
both cores to return prior to the commit phase.

One example: www.eecs.umich.edu/~taustin/papers/MICRO32-diva.pdf
Another example: www.ee.duke.edu/~sorin/papers/ieeemicro08_argus.pdf

These don't use existing cores on a multi-core chip, but instead use a
"functional correctness" chip but I've seen designs that use the
former as well.

--
Eitan Adler