Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2017 19:17:23 -0400
From:      Jules Gilbert <repeatable_compression@yahoo.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-security@freebsd.org security" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, Ben Laurie <ben@links.org>, pg@eth1.com, Jeremiasfeliz <jeremiasfeliz@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Crypto overhaul

These days no one talks about how wonderful CPM was, we used it because
at one time, it was the only OS available.

So what is our excuse for using SSL?, because I'm fairly certain the NSA
and just about everyone else in the neighborhood has hacked it.

Question for the group...  Does anyone believe that factoring is
actually hard.  It was once, I know.  But today?

I'm not a crypto person, but even I wrote a simple factoring program.
In C, using MAPM.  I produce a few of the left-most bits for a,b, where:

c = a*b;

where a is:  3 .. sqrt(c)

and (of course,) b must be: greater than sqrt(c)

from this I bisect the space of 3 .. sqrt(c) and begin the recursive
descent.  The program does about 5,000 prime pairs an hour and this
using MAPM!!

I gave away the source code, let me know if you didn't get a copy.
You'll need g++ and MAPM