Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:44:21 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        L Goodwin <xrayv19@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Workgroup not available. The network name cannot be found. on	Windows 2000 Pro SP4

> What is the "correct" procedure for recovering from
> this mishap? TIA! :-)

- download FreeBSD disk-1 from freebsd.org
- insert CD into drive, and install :)

Seriously..

It's been a while since I've actually managed a Windows network per-se,
but from what I recall, you can change the workgroup to something else
(then reboot), then re-assign the PC to the proper workgroup (then
reboot again), it may fix it. AFAIR, you can do this by right-clicking
on My Computer, and changing the computers identity or name.

If that doesn't work, then ensure that Norton or some other so called
'firewall' or 'security suite' isn't blocking outbound traffic via the
NetBIOS protocol ports:

# grep -i netbios /etc/services

netbios-ns      137/tcp    #NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-ns      137/udp    #NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-dgm     138/tcp    #NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-dgm     138/udp    #NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-ssn     139/tcp    #NETBIOS Session Service
netbios-ssn     139/udp    #NETBIOS Session Service

Also, port 445 TCP and UDP may come into play here.

Interesting though that inbound is allowed/working but outbound is fudged.

Is this PC on a win2k Domain? Is there anything in the 'logs' (stated
very loosely) in the Event Viewer on the remote/local hosts?

Steve