Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:23:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Richard J. Finn" <rfinn@Houston-InterWeb.COM>
Cc:        support@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: library question

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Richard J. Finn wrote:

> I recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a new machine.  (The computer is a
> Pentium 2/266 Mghz machine with 64 megs of RAM and a 9 gig SCSI 2 HD...
> I just like saying that... not the most powerful machine I've ever used
> by far... but still pretty nice)  I'm having some sort of trouble with
> ld.so and I don't know even where to start to fix it.
>
> 	Whenever I run certain programs I get an error that:
> 	ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "(some library)"
>
> 	Every time the library file does exists and it's exatactly where it's supposed
> to be.
>
> 	When I try to initdb for PostgreSQL 6.1.1 I get:
> 	ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libpq.so.1.0"

> 	When I try to run Netscape I get:
> 	ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libXt.so.6.0"

Are these the Linux versions of these binaries?  If so, you'll need to
fetch the libraries (or fetch the linux_lib port) and install it.

Otherwise, see ldconfig manpage and do ``ldconfig -r''.  The first line(s)
of output should be:

/var/run/ld.so.hints:
        search directories:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/l
ib

There can be extra directories depending on what you've loaded.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo