Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 08:16:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Good News :)

As Peter Dufault wrote:

> > I've burnt my first CD today!
> >
> > Well, i sorta mis-burnt two of them, but the first step has been done.
>
> Details on the tools you used, please.  And did you do it single
> user or multi user?

This was just the proof-of-concept stage.

The tools were scsi(8) (actually, a bunch of them -- thanks, Peter!)
and team(1), wrapped together by a Perl script.

Using dd(1), the burner starved immediately.  With team(1), it looks
better.  You can run enough processes pre-reading data from the disk,
thus caching it in memory.  This was running in ``slight multi- user''
mode, i.e. multi-user stage with just a single user logged in, no X11,
no heavy background tasks.  I forgot to raise the process into rtprio,
however.  While the first attempt went through but rendered me with an
unusable disk since i've totally misunderstood team's man page, the
second one starved after burning about 50 MB.  The CD is mountable,
the directory structure is intact, but it experiences lotta errors
when reading most of the files.  Anyway, the ~ 50 MB are way more than
the machine has RAM, so it's still proving that it can be made work.

Burner and source disk are on different SCSI busses, but i'm not sure
if this is really necessary.  It's just the configuration of that
machine (one bus for the dis[s], another one for the slow peripheral
devices).

The bad news is, manufacturers of CD burners disagree about the
command set.  My experiment ran with a ``Plasmon Data RF4100'', and
with some minor hassles (downloading from an US BBS via transatlantic
phone lines, ick) i could get their SCSI manual.  Judging from Linux'
cdwrite, most burners seem to be only slightly different in the
command handling, with the major exception of Yamaha.  They do just
everything different.  So when stuffing all the invocations of scsi(8)
back into the kernel, i'm thinking of an lkm-based interface, where
the actual CD-R handler must be plugged in as a loadable module.

Who is interested in dicussing further issues of the concept (once
i've got further)?  Should i do this in this list?

--
cheers, J"org