Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 1997 18:26:20 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My first SMP kernel...

Hi,

> As Steve Passe wrote:
>
> > sounds a little shaky, any idea what the stepping of the original CPU is?
>
> It's a fairly new one.  The 90 MHz chip has recently been replaced by
> a 100 MHz one (so we later had to find that there's no clock
> synthesizer on that board and that we don't have a 66 MHz oscillator
> lying around :).  I've also verified before that both CPUs have the
> `SSS' signature.

SSS? I don't see that in the list.  what specifically are the exact
S-spec #s of each?  I've found that you can't trust the printout
on boot of the CPU features, some versions got the bitfields messed up.

> > >   Note
> > > that this even happened when running this kernel uni-processor, while
> >                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > by this you mean before doing "sysctl -w kern.smp_active=2"?
>
> No.  Pulling the second CPU.

interesting, I would have guessed this would cause boot problems, but I
guess not...

---
> Is the sysctl required to get the 2nd CPU running at all?  If so, i
> never issued it, so i ran the machine uni-processor all the time.

during boot the 2nd CPU does some initialization then spins in a tight
loop till the sysctl is done, so yes, you never actually were running the
2nd CPU.

one possibility for testing would be to get Peter to place a known working
kernel on freefall, then grab it & try, since your hardware is so similar.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD