Date:      Tue, 20 May 2003 22:33:47 +0200
From:      Saulius Menkevičius <razzmatazz@mail.lt>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   lots of sockets in TIME_WAIT

=09Hi there,

I have some DDOS(?) attack on my router going where my apache=
 HTTP
server is flooded with short-timed connections from some host.=
 This
results in LOTS of sockets in TIME_WAIT/LAST_ACK/CLOSING states=
 and
eventually I'm out of mbufs, which, consequently means I can't=
 even
connect to the router from LAN. The kern.ipc.nmbclusters is 2560,=
 (I
guess high enough for router with DSL connection).
=09After some time all mbufs are depleted (system says "All mbuf
cluster exhausted"). However, unexpectedly the system panics=
 shortly
in about 10 minutes (+/-) with:
/kernel: All mbuf cluster exhausted, please see tuning(7)
/kernel: looutput: mbuf allocation failed
/kernel: panic: sbappendaddr
/kernel:
/kernel: syncing disks....
.
.
=09I don't think this behaviour (a panic) is normal. This crash is=

happens often when I'm under such attack and I guess I can easily=

give crash dump, kgdb output or something like, if you need.
=09System is running 4.8-RELEASE, on iPentium166/mmx with 64MB of=
 RAM.
4 NICs, BRIDGE on two of them.

=09Thanks for any response..

P.S. (is there some sysctl oid for setting TIME_WAIT duration?)
--
Saulius Menkevicius, razzmatazz@mail.lt on 05.20.2003