Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 01:54:46 -0700
From:      Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dd: /dev/rda1s1a: Read-only file system

I'm trying to make a spare copy if my root filesystem:

root@pacman:/home/steve# dd if=/dev/rda0s1a of=/dev/rda1s1a bs=512
dd: /dev/rda1s1a: Read-only file system
2+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 0.019215 secs (26646 bytes/sec)

Why doesn't it work? I've tried device names rda?s1a, da?s1a, rda?s1,
da?s1, etc. No dice.

FreeBSD 4.1-R. Securelevel is -1. da0s1a is mounted as /, da1s1a is not
mounted but does have a root filesystem on it that I want to update.
Both disks are exactly the same, partitioned and sliced exactly the
same (a partition with only one 256977 block slice (root), and the rest
a Vinum partition that is sliced via Vinum).

The idea here is to have redundant disks. Vinum is doing RAID-1
mirroring of everything except / (swap, /usr, et al). Apparently vinum
can't mirror / yet so the best I can do is a hot spare. That's what I'm
trying to accomplish with the dd command.

TIA.