Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:28:58 +0300
From:      "Artem Kuchin" <matrix@itlegion.ru>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cannot build kernel with options WITNESS

I cvssed just an hour ago. 5.3-STABLE and cannot build
kernel with WITNES. It complains:

cc -c -O -pipe  -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -W
missing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions -st
d=c99  -nostdinc -I-  -I. -I/usr/src/sys -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica -I/us
r/src/sys/contrib/altq -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/ipfilter -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/pf
 -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/freebsd -I/usr/sr
c/sys/contrib/ngatm -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h -fno-common -finline-limit=8
000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000  -mno-alig
n-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -ffreestanding -Werror  /usr/src/sys
/kern/subr_witness.c
/usr/src/sys/kern/subr_witness.c:1737: warning: 'witness_proc_has_locks' defined
 but not used
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OMNI2.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

THE KERNEL CONFIG FILE :

machine  i386
cpu  I486_CPU
cpu  I586_CPU
cpu  I686_CPU
ident  OMNI2

options  SMP

options  QUOTA

options  SCHED_4BSD  # 4BSD scheduler
options  INET   # InterNETworking
options  INET6   # IPv6 communications protocols
options  FFS   # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options  SOFTUPDATES  # Enable FFS soft updates support
options  UFS_ACL   # Support for access control lists
options  UFS_DIRHASH  # Improve performance on big directories
#options  MD_ROOT   # MD is a potential root device
#options  NFSCLIENT  # Network Filesystem Client
#options  NFSSERVER  # Network Filesystem Server
#options  NFS_ROOT  # NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
options  MSDOSFS   # MSDOS Filesystem
options  CD9660   # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options  PROCFS   # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options  PSEUDOFS  # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options  GEOM_GPT  # GUID Partition Tables.
options  COMPAT_43  # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options  COMPAT_FREEBSD4  # Compatible with FreeBSD4
#options  SCSI_DELAY=15000 # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options  KTRACE   # ktrace(1) support
options  SYSVSHM   # SYSV-style shared memory
options  SYSVMSG   # SYSV-style message queues
options  SYSVSEM   # SYSV-style semaphores
#options  _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extensions
#options  KBD_INSTALL_CDEV # install a CDEV entry in /dev
#options  ADAPTIVE_GIANT  # Giant mutex is adaptive.

device  apic  # I/O APIC

# Bus support.  Do not remove isa, even if you have no isa slots
device  isa
device  pci

# Floppy drives
device  fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device  ata
device  atadisk  # ATA disk drives
device  ataraid  # ATA RAID drives
device  atapicd  # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device  atapifd  # ATAPI floppy drives
#device  atapist  # ATAPI tape drives
options  ATA_STATIC_ID # Static device numbering

# SCSI peripherals
device  scbus  # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device  da  # Direct Access (disks)
device  pass  # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device  twe  # 3ware ATA RAID

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device  atkbdc  # AT keyboard controller
device  atkbd  # AT keyboard
device  psm  # PS/2 mouse

device  vga  # VGA video card driver

device  splash  # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device  sc

device  agp  # support several AGP chipsets

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device  npx

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
#device  apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
#device  pmtimer

# Serial (COM) ports
device  sio  # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
device  ppc
device  ppbus  # Parallel port bus (required)
device  lpt  # Printer
device  ppi  # Parallel port interface device
#device  vpo  # Requires scbus and da

device  miibus  # MII bus support
device  fxp  # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device  em

device  loop  # Network loopback
device  mem  # Memory and kernel memory devices
device  io  # I/O device
device  random  # Entropy device
device  ether  # Ethernet support
#device  sl  # Kernel SLIP
#device  ppp  # Kernel PPP
device  tun  # Packet tunnel.
device  pty  # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device  md  # Memory "disks"
#device  gif  # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
#device  faith  # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

device  bpf  # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device  uhci  # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device  ohci  # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device  usb  # USB Bus (required)
#device  udbp  # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device  ugen  # Generic
device  uhid  # "Human Interface Devices"
device  ulpt  # Printer
device  umass  # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da

# FireWire support
device  firewire # FireWire bus code
#device  sbp  # SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and da)
#device  fwe  # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)

options  IPFIREWALL
options  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=10000
options  IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT

device  snp
device  speaker

#options  DDB
#options  KDB
#options  BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER
options  INVARIANT_SUPPORT
options  INVARIANTS
options  WITNESS
options         WITNESS_KDB
options  WITNESS_SKIPSPIN
#options  ADAPTIVE_GIANT  # Giant mutex is adaptive.

Regards,
Artem Kuchin
IT Legion Ltd.
Russia, Moscow