Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:40:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Register a RPC service with inetd

I have typed in the source code of rls (remote directory list) from the book
"Power programming with RPC" and run it under FreeBSD successfully.

But I can not get the rls server registered with inetd so that it can be
started *automatically* during bootup.  What I have done is as follows:

(1) Use the -I option on rpcgen to generate inetd compatible server code:

    > rpcget -I rls.x  (I wonder if -I is only used for SunOS)

(2) Modify the file /etc/inetd.conf to contain the following line:

    rls/1 stream rpc/tcp  nowait  root /usr/libexec/rls_svc  rls_svc

    where 1 in the version number.

(3) Modify the file /etc/rpc to contain the following line:

    rls   20000001

    where 20000001 in the program number of the rls.

However, when I type "./rls host-address directory" on a client machine, it
response "RPC: program not registered".

I even modify the file /etc/defaults/rc.conf to set inetd_flags to be "-d"
(debug).  This makes sure that inetd does register rls during bootup.  After
bootup, the "rpcinfo -p localhost" on server also shows rls is there.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing?  Thanks a lot.