Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:21:37 +0300
From:      Vitaly Magerya <vmagerya@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Scheidell <scheidell@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: custom license on new port?

Michael Scheidell wrote:
> got a new port. submitted by the copyright owner and author.
> for reference, pr ports/168832
>
> there is no LICENSE= in the Makefile, no LICENSE.txt in the
> distribution, but it does have the attached in the main.c file.
>
> [...]
>
> * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> * are met:
> * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> * documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> *
> * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
> * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
> * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
> * ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
> * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
> * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
> * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
> * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
> * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
> * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
> * SUCH DAMAGE.

That is 2-clause BSD [1], aka the FreeBSD license [2], so LICENSE=BSD
should be sufficient if you want to add that (my understanding is that
the license framework is unused and should probably be removed).

[1] http://www.opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause
[2] https://gnu.org/licenses/license-list#FreeBSD