Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:46:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        perlsta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        james@wgold.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

> > database server.  And you'd need a growth path beyond uniprocessor
> > Intel, which
> > free UNIXen (including Linux, as far as I'm concerned) don't have now.
>
> freebsd doesn't have multiple intel processor support?
> is this true?

FreeBSD supports a primitive SMP (which is better, by far, than no
SMP -- all the really hard work is done).

None of the Free UNIX clones support fine grain parallelism (kernel
reentrancy on multiple processors, etc.).

The current implementations are useful for seperate processes, but
do not scale applications well, especially multithreading applications.
Most of the win is in "make -j" and multiple "work-to-do" engines,
like Apache with some spawned-ahead processes.

Unfortunately, the non-reentrancy limits the utility, and lack of
ability to imply processor affinity in the scheduler means that you
have a 50/50 chance of having to reload all the L1 cache contents as
your process migrates, willy-nilly between processors to whichever
one was idle when its number came up.

Finally, the use of a monolithic mutex instead of a true SMP lock
manager (see UNIX for Modern Architectures for huge amounts of data
on turnstiles and other useful primitives) means some cache line
flushes (minimum) each time the lock is set (since the processor
doing the setting must IPI the other processor, which must invalidate
cache contents to sync the data in question... like global vnode
freelists, etc.).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org